One of the best ways to get a beautiful, healthy smile is to brush at least twice a day. But what else can you do to improve the health and appearance of your teeth? Here are Dr. Dental’s Top 10 resolutions for a healthier smile in 2013!
- Eat Healthy Foods: An apple a day keeps cavities away. A balanced diet is the best way to make a healthier you and that includes improving your smile. You can help prevent tooth decay by eating lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and lean proteins. Don’t forget to cut back on the sugary drinks and snacks, too.
- Make an Appointment: When was your last dental check-up? You should see your dentist and have your teeth cleaned twice a year. This not only cleans teeth of tartar and plaque, but allows for early detection of problems that can ruin a great smile.
- Get Fit: Happiness and exercise are both linked to boosting the immune system and with the release of endorphins. Exercise increases energy, gives you a sense of accomplishment when personal fitness goals are met and instills a sense of pride with an improved physical appearance. That’s something to smile about!
- Stop Biting Nails: Nail biting not only wreaks havoc on your manicure, but can destroy a beautiful smile. According to the Academy of General Dentistry, nail biting can crack, chip or wear down front teeth.
- Help Others: One of the best ways to improve your smile is to bring a smile to others. Make this your year to volunteer and give back to those in need.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking and tobacco products can ruin your smile by giving you bad breath, stained teeth, difficulties in correcting cosmetic dental problems, gum disease and oral cancer.
- Take a Trip: Traveling somewhere wonderful can improve your smile. Stay close to home to just enjoy everything our beautiful east coast has to offer!
- Spend More Time with Family and Friends: Work, stress and the daily grind can steal your smile. Get back to what’s important and vow to spend more time with loved ones.
- Have Fun: Improve your smile by smiling more. Watch a funny movie, see a comedian or laugh about memories with an old friend.
- Chew More Gum: Chewing gum can improve your smile, provided it is sugar-free. According to the ADA, research shows that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes following meals can help prevent tooth decay.
Our staff and doctors at Dr. Dental hope these resolutions improve your smile in 2013! Do you have another resolution or a creative way to achieve your goals in 2013? Share it with us!
For more information on how we can help improve your smile, visit our services page.
Our family-owned dental offices are proud to bring affordable smiles to all ages at convenient locations in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and New Jersey.