Getting kids to eat healthy at home can be quite a chore. But getting them to eat healthy away from home sometimes seems like an impossible task. Without direct adult supervision, it’s tough to know exactly what they’re eating.
Even if you pack certain foods in your child’s lunch, there’s a good chance they could buy sugar-heavy snacks in the cafeteria, or swap out their lunch for unhealthy foods.
That’s why it’s important to encourage teeth-friendly foods into your child’s diet. They not only promote superior dental care at home, but they’re also an extra layer of defense against a steady onslaught of sticky & sugary foods that invariably end up in your child’s diet.
Dr. Dental knows the importance of disciplined dental care at home. Combined with our complete selection of family dental services, taking care of your family’s teeth away from the dental chair is the biggest difference between a healthy mouth and one filled with plaque, cavities, and other dental problems.
In order to ensure your child’s oral health gets a well-deserved A+ mark while at school, you need to know which dental-friendly foods to pack.
Something to Smile About: Great Snacks for School Lunches
The key to creating teeth-friendly lunches for kids is avoiding too much sugar, yet still providing enough taste and texture to hold their interest – which is certainly easier said than done. However, we’ve researched a handful of school lunch snacks that earn high marks for even the pickiest eater.
- Celery sticks with cream cheese and nuts or seeds. Chopped macadamias, almonds, or sunflower seeds add a slightly crunchy texture that kids love, while the celery – nature’s floss – helps remove food particles from between the teeth.
- Yogurt with berries. Forget the processed “fruit snacks” and opt for the real deal instead. Yogurt (a great source of calcium) with raspberries, blueberries, and similar small fiber-bomb fruits are loaded with flavor, and they’re healthy to boot. And with the added fiber content, berries will help keep your kids fuller for longer!
- Guacamole & tortilla or pita chips. Rock the guac, and they won’t be disappointed. Guacamole is comprised of healthy fats and plenty of vitamins and minerals.
- Fresh fruit. Oranges, tangerines, plums, grapes…any type of fresh fruit is a welcome alternative to snacks that contain high fructose corn syrup and excess sugar.
- Hard-boiled eggs. They’re not for everyone, but growing kids need plenty of protein. If your child is willing to give them a chance, hard-boiled eggs are an inexpensive, healthy treat for their school lunch. Plus, they contain oral health essentials like vitamin D and beneficial phosphates.
For the Best Family Dental Care, Visit or Call Dr. Dental Today
From school snacks to school sports, it helps to have a proven dental expert in your corner. Dr. Dental, the most trusted family dental network in the New England region, can help you and your family with all of your dental care needs. We have dozens of offices throughout the area (New Jersey, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Massachusetts), so stop by today!