It’s already 2018. Which means that you’re probably taken action on your New Year’s resolutions. And if you’re like most people, there’s more than a 9-in-10 chance your resolutions won’t make it through the year.
While most New Year’s resolutions are based on health-related goals – weight loss is easily #1 – oral healthcare resolutions are decidedly under the radar. Thankfully, it’s not hard to keep New Year’s resolutions geared toward a healthy mouth – namely, your teeth and gums.
Dr. Dental, the premier dentist network in the greater New England region, would like to give everyone a reason to smile more in 2018. To that end, we put together the following list of oral healthcare New Year’s resolutions.
Before getting started, it helps to be SMART about your oral healthcare goals. They should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. If you try to set a resolution that’s unrealistic and unobtainable, it has a slim chance of success.
2018 Oral Healthcare Goals – Get Started Today!
Here’s a handful of things you can do to ensure a healthier mouth for 2018:
- Floss more. Or, start flossing, period. Flossing helps remove harmful plaque, eliminates bacteria buildup, and combats gum disease. And best of all, this isn’t the clock-killing type of New Year’s resolution that barely makes it to mid-January. In just 1-2 minutes per day, you can make a huge difference in your oral health – now that’s certainly SMART!
- Brush twice per day. If you’re already at this level, aim for a third daily brush. Much like flossing, one extra brushing per day takes little time and significantly improves oral healthcare markers. If you’re looking to get an extra brush after lunch, keep a toothbrush at work. Your teeth will thank you – and come 2019, your entire mouth will be in a much better place.
- Remember your annual dentist appointment. Numerous studies show that regular dental office visits – at least once per calendar year – aid in overall oral health. If you’re in the U.S. northeast, Dr. Dental has more than 40 offices ready to serve you and your family today! Haven’t been to the dentist in a while? No problem – use our online scheduling tool.
- Scrape your way to a better mouth. Sounds crazy, but it’s true: tongue scraping works. This simple practice, developed over thousands of years in the Indian subcontinent, removes harmful toxins, bacteria, food particles, and more from your tongue. We recommend a stainless steel scraper (available at health food markets, department stores, and online), simply because it’s easier to clean and maintain. Start this resolution today, and you’ll probably notice an unexpected benefit for the new year: your food will taste better!
- Fortify with fluoride. Fluoride reverses tooth decay, and makes teeth more resilient to cavities and bacteria. Try a fluoride supplement, or a fluoride mouthwash a few times per week to start the new year – you’d be surprised how this small commitment can make such a huge positive impact on your teeth and gums!
These are just five factors that you can use to make 2018 the healthiest year yet for your mouth. Thanks for stopping by the Dr. Dental blog. And if you have any questions about our specific services to improve your oral healthcare, stop by any of our offices – we have dozens of locations throughout New Jersey, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. Happy New Year!