Who doesn’t want a winning smile? Like every human action, there’s an evolutionary background behind turning up the corners of your mouth and showing off those pearly whites.
Displaying one’s teeth, according to some evolutionary psychologists, started as a way to project a healthy image. Since oral health is a window to overall wellbeing, early humans smiled as a way to show others they were in a “content” condition.
Here’s a key part of any agreeable smile: those pearly whites actually have to be, you know…pearly white!
Color (or, in this case, lack of color) is critical for any smile. That’s why teeth whitening is so popular nowadays. You – or someone you know – have probably already tried a few different teeth whitening methods.
Here at Dr. Dental, we’re concerned about all aspects of your smile. Teeth whitening is one of the professional dental services we provide. Of course, we encourage all habits to promote and maintain a white, bright smile naturally – with regular brushing & flossing, along with scheduled visits to your nearest Dr. Dental office.
What are the best ways to keep your teeth white? Let’s take a look!
Five Ways to a Wondrous Smile
Getting the smile you want is as much about what not to do as following certain habits and behaviors. Avoiding substances, beverages and food that cause stains and discoloration is half the battle. Unfortunately, most of the stuff that stains teeth – soda, candy, tobacco, and more – is associated with poor habits.
That said, a sparkling smile certainly isn’t impossible, especially if you have a little discipline and a solid plan. Here are a handful of things you can do today to obtain or maintain whiter teeth:
- Stay away from those stain-causing foods and beverages. As we already mentioned, whiter teeth are often a product of addition by subtraction. In other words, eliminating unhealthy (and ultimately, unsightly) substances that come in contact with your teeth. Limit or avoid these foods: sugary snacks, red berries, corn syrup (in everything from soda to ketchup to BBQ sauce), flavored vinegar, colorful root spices, and other foods.
- Visit your dentist often. White teeth – or more specifically, naturally white teeth – are a byproduct of healthy dental habits. Your dentist will help detect and treat cavities, promote positive self-dental care and also provide teeth cleanings. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Dental today!
- Try whitening toothpaste. Obviously, regular brushing is essential for white teeth. If a few bad habits have your teeth discolored, a whitening toothpaste might just be the ticket to pearlier whites. Experiment with a few brands and finds what works for you. We recommend using a whitening paste with fluoride.
- “Strip” away stains. Whitening strips, once a luxury, are now considered a trusty tool for anyone looking for a white smile. With proprietary peroxide and bleach blends, most whitening strips are easy to use and very affordable. Just like whitening pastes, see which ones are best for your smile – and budget!
- Floss. And floss some more. Flossing is one of the most underrated methods to achieve a white, bright smile. Optimal gum health goes a long way toward a healthy mouth. Without regular flossing to help remove tartar buildup and harmful bacteria, all the brushing in the world won’t give you a whiter smile! Here’s a tip to achieve whiter teeth: floss once in the morning, and once before bedtime. You might be surprised at how effective flossing is, especially in pursuit of pearly whites.
Teeth Whitening: Only One Sign of a Healthy Smile
With so many teeth whitening options available today, getting that million dollar smile appears easier than ever before. Dr. Dental helps you and your family obtain whiter, brighter smiles with a proven, professional approach: regularly scheduled dental care.
We offer cleanings, fillings, dentures, and other dental services to help you achieve superior oral health – including, of course, that glowing smile everyone loves! Teeth whitening is one of the many procedures available at Dr. Dental. Popular with everyone from teens to senior citizens, our teeth whitening procedure revitalizes discolored teeth and improves anyone’s smile! We have both in-office whitening and tray whitening.
Visit any Dr. Dental location for a consultation today. From teeth whitening to major dental work, Dr. Dental has your entire family covered. Thanks for stopping by – and make sure to check back for more articles about oral healthcare!