How important is dental care for overall health? Probably more critical than you think. Many serious diseases and ailments are linked to poor dental care, including:
- Lung and respiratory issues
- Arthritis, lupus, and other auto-immune disorders
- Cardiovascular disease
Researchers think that the link between dental care and health is related to bacteria entering the bloodstream, similar to the “leaky gut” theory. Leaky gut involves bacteria and other substances leaving the digestive tract (stomach, intestines, etc.) and seeping into the bloodstream.
Similarly, “leaky gums” occur when the mouth is weakened by poor dental care and foreign substances and disease-carrying bacteria seep into the bloodstream.
How serious is the risk of poor dental care to overall health? One recent study showed that people with unhealthy gums suffer strokes three times more frequently than those with healthy gums. The same study showed that people with unhealthy dental care habits are twice as likely to suffer heart attacks. As it turns out, brushing your teeth can really improve your health – and possibly save your life!
Dental Tips to Improve Health
Few healthcare regimens are as effective as a thorough dental care plan at home. To improve your health and decrease the chances of getting an infection or disease, keep these dental tips in mind:
- Brush regularly. According to a dentist, you should brush your teeth at least twice per day. If you can get in an additional brush around lunchtime, that’s even better!
- Don’t forget to floss. Flossing helps reach food particles that can “hide” in your teeth and gums. If you don’t remove those particles, bacteria quickly develops, which can lead to tooth decay and other problems…and eventually, create other health issues.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash. Limit and eliminate the “bad” bacteria in your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash. This process helps to kill bacteria. And your close associates will thank you – it freshens your breath!
- Visit your dentist. Your Dentist Cronulla provides teeth cleanings, checkups, and dental procedures like dental implants and Invisalign treatment to keep your teeth and gums as healthy as possible. Regular visits to the dentist can maintain your beautiful smile.