According to the American Dental Association (ADA), 56% of people don’t know which dental products to buy. With toothpaste manufacturers offering numerous gels and pastes, you’re bound to be confused whenever you shop. However, the following five tips will clear any confusion you have and ensure that you get the best toothpaste for your teeth.
#1) Find out Which Type of Paste is Best for You
The numerous types of toothpaste on the market are usually categorized under the following:
- Baking Soda Toothpaste – Though it has no therapeutic value, it is a traditional type of toothpaste that can clean your teeth while offering a fresh feeling afterwards.
- Desensitizing Toothpaste – This type of toothpaste is perfect for sensitive teeth, a condition caused when the enamel grows weak or tooth roots are exposed.
- Fluoride Toothpaste – Fluoride is essential for your oral health, strengthening your teeth against future dental cavities and preventing sensitivity. It’s a great choice for children, seniors and others who need a little extra help protecting their teeth from cavities.
- Gum Health Toothpaste – This type of toothpaste can reduce your risk of facing gum disease in the future by controlling dental plaque.
- Tartar Control Toothpaste – While your dentist alone can remove dental tartar, this type of toothpaste can prevent the accumulation of tartar, especially after a dental checkup.
- Whitening Toothpaste – These contain scrubbing agents that remove stains from your teeth rather than actually whiten them. This means that you still need to head to a dentist to get teeth whitening treatments.
#2) Read the Labels Properly
If you’re not sure about which toothpaste to go for, always read the labels carefully. Some pastes indicate that they’re for use by only adults or older children. You should also check the list of ingredients to make sure that you’re not allergic to any of them. This may take some time, but at least you’ll know which type of toothpaste truly is the best for you.
#3) Always Focus on Getting ADA Approved Toothpastes
Toothpastes with an ADA seal of acceptance are worth buying because they have been thoroughly tested to meet strict requirements set by the organization. However, not all toothpaste brands are members of this voluntary program, which means that you shouldn’t fully depend on this criterion.
#4) Make Sure Your Toothpaste Doesn’t Contain Much Sugar
Certain brands, especially those that offer products for children, tend to use too much sugar in their toothpastes. However, you should avoid these or else you’ll be better off brushing your teeth with chocolate syrup. So make sure to skim the label for sugary ingredients.
#5) Always Check Your Choice with Your Dentist
Your dentist will have a good idea about the health of your teeth and what you require to guarantee perfect oral hygiene. So make sure to consult with your dentist to get the best type of toothpaste for you.
In addition to choosing the right toothpaste, you should know how to brush your teeth, how to floss, and what to eat to avoid future cavities. This is where our preventative dental services can help; our dentists and hygienists can guide you on how to prevent damage and even pick the best toothpaste. So schedule an appointment at any of our Dr. Dental offices today.